Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Weekend With a Cherry on Top (Days 7, 8, 9, and 10)

Howdy! I know, It's been a while. I realize I'm about to cover four days in one post, and that doesn't exactly match the format of this blog. Oh well.

Thursday - St. Patrick's Day

The luck of the Irish was not on my side on Thursday night. For St. Patrick's day this year, I had planned to go out for a beer or two near my apartment with a few friends. The plan was to pick up my friend Ryan from the Hofbrau House downtown, and then head over to the east side of Milwaukee to go out. 

Let me set the scene for you. The time is somewhere around 11 PM. I'm sitting in my own personal go-kart on 3rd Street waiting for Ryan to come out of the bar. After a few minutes of waiting, Ryan informs me that he isn't there. Woo-hoo.  At this point, I'm noticing a whole bunch of commotion and that State Street was closed off. Either way, I gotta get out of there, so I decide to inch out into traffic.

SCRAPE SCRAPE SCRAPE SCRAPE

My go-kart! It was hit by a bigger and scarier van! I pulled over and got out of the car, as did the guy who hit me. I walk over to him, and he promptly starts yelling at me: "[Expletive] you! You [expletive]ing hit me! Look what you did to me [expletive]ing van!" This guy was not happy. I knew I had to get this guy's insurance info and get out of there. 

"Why don't we just exchange insurance information and we'll figure it out later?" "Nah man, you hit my car, F you..."

And it went on like that. At first I thought he didn't have insurance, so I just asked for his contact info. He continued to refuse, and continued to make a scene. Finally, he gets in his car and drives off. I was like "...Really?" It was a good thing I memorized his plates. Or so I thought. 

I drove to the police station, since there was no way I was getting a cop to come out to that mess. I explained the situation, where a very helpful Milwaukee Police Officer ran his license plate. The plate belonged to a stolen Ford Taurus. I was hit by a van. None of that matched up. Awesome. 

This was unfortunately not the only douchey person I would encounter that weekend.

Friday

After watching Marquette dominate Xavier in the second round of the NCAA tournament, my friends and I decided to hit the bars on North Avenue. We went to Cans, a bar which is good for it's drink prices, but bad for the high volume of meat-heads it brings. 

At the end of the night, my friend went up to the bar to close his tab. While waiting, he kindly asked the person next to him to hold his drink so he could get his wallet out. Instead of saying "Sure! I'd love to help you out," the guy knocked the drink on the floor. That wasn't deserved, but it's a bar. Sometimes, someone has gotta be annoying. 

Of course, that wasn't enough. The guy was trying to start a fight with my friend, which I still don't understand. He was clearly just being a drunk asshole. He followed us out the door and brought other meat-heads with him. There was a lot of yelling, but we had a pretty large group of people, so we were able to break it up. We continued to walk down the street to fulfill our awesome plan of getting pizza.

About a block later, a beat up Ford Focus pulls up to us on the street. It's Mo, Curly, and Larry trying to start a fight again. They begin yelling at us from in their car, when out of nowhere, this guy that none of us know walks up and starts making fun of their car. He said things like "You don't really look like you take care of this thing," and "This is a poor car." It was pretty funny. Here's some guy, probably walking home from the bars, who doesn't even know us, and he just comes up and talks smack to the meat-heads. It was hilarious. They peeled out in frustration and drove off. 

I told the random guy that he should stay and get pizza with us. He said he was down. By time we got to Ian's, he was gone. No one knows what happened to him.

Saturday

I lacked a day of awesome. I had plans to help my friend move, and visit some family, so I didn't get to do anything exciting. I know, I'm a bum. 

Sunday

Marquette vs. Syracuse. I could swear I have seen this match-up before. This time, the steaks were much higher. The winner would advance to the Sweet 16, and the loser's season would be over. I was fully expecting a last second loss, since Marquette has a rich history of them over the last few years. (Yes, each of those links is a separate gut wrenching loss.)

I went over to Fanatics, a new sports bar in the Third Ward, with some friends to watch the game. Just as a side note, this place is over-rated. The service sucks and the food is just OK. Anywho, the game got underway. Marquette got down 10 points quickly, and everyone was starting to have their doubts. The bar was quiet, everyone was hoping that this wouldn't be the end for MU.

The bar woke up with about five minutes to go in the first half when Marquette decided to start playing well and close the gap. MU had withered Syracuse's lead down to just a few points by time the one minute mark rolled around. Everyone was starting to get excited. Then, Jimmy Butler drained a shot as time expired on the half. The place erupted. What a great way to end the half.

The rest of the game would prove to be an absolute dog-fight. Everyone was tentative. I was already mentally preparing myself for the inevitable last second loss on a crazy Syracuse shot. It was rowdy but reserved until the final minutes. With about a minute remaining, Scoop Jardine blew it for Syracuse by stepping in the backcourt. SU turned the ball over, and Marquette had a great chance to take the lead.

On the next possession, it looked like no one was going to take a shot. There had to be at least three shot fakes. As the shot clock was winding down, Jimmy Butler had a 360 degree pass to Darius Johnson-Odom. DJO took the shot, and it was pure. The place went crazy. I haven't jumped up and down like that since the 1998 NBA Finals.

Marquette proceeded to win the game, and survive to advance to their first Sweet Sixteen since 2003. My bracket is screwed, I've got no chance at winning one cent of my $40 I spent on bracket pools back. And that is perfectly fine by me :)

Monday and Tuesday's posts to come soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment