Sunday, March 13, 2011

Weekend Update - Days 4 and 5: Feeding the Hungry, and Technology is So Cool

I'm going to cheat a little bit - I'm summarizing my weekend in one post. Seeing as it is already 11:13 on Monday night, I'm still playing catch up from a really busy weekend. Herea goes...

Saturday

Saturday's interesting event started off bright and early at 9 AM at the Usinger's packaging plant on Milwaukee's near south side.

I'm a member of Rotaract Milwaukee, a community service organization for 18 to 30 year olds. Every month, we get together and perform an act of service in our local community. On Saturday, we were packaging food that will be sent to hungry children worldwide. Though it was an early event, I'm really glad I went. It was a great way to start my Saturday.

Due to the fact that there were also local Rotary club members in addition to us Rotaractors, there were quite a few people volunteering at the event - and a wide age range. We were split up into groups of about six people. I found myself coupled with four other people I didn't know, and one I barely knew. Those I didn't know were Rotary members, and the other was a prospective Rotaractor named Will, who happened to be a Triangle from MSOE. While we were working, it was great to hear everyones stories of why they were involved in the project and what they were doing with their lives. Talking with those at my table on Saturday made me really realize I'm a people person. Here's our table in action:
Following the food packaging service event, I promptly returned home for a two hour nap in preparation to play poker with some friends that night :)

Sunday

I was really having a hard time coming up with something to do for Sunday. It was the laziest of Sundays - I found myself sitting in my pajamas well into the afternoon. I was sorting through my list of ideas when I heard a sound come out of my laptop...

Do doot doo do, do doot do doo...

First thing I said: "What the hell is that?" I quickly realized someone was video calling me on Google Chat - something that has never happened before. It wasn't just anyone... it was my Mom! I wondered if I should pick the call up - I still looked like I had just rolled out out bed and it was the middle of the day. However, when Mom calls, you answer. So I did.

It wasn't really that exciting of a conversation - just a normal chat between a mom and her son. What was cool about it to me was the fact that not only was I video chatting - something I never do - but it was with my mom! This means that Google has figured out how to make video chat easy and friendly to use to non-techies. That's a big step for the technology. Video chat isn't new (we've had it for over a decade now), but the fact that it is easy to use means it really has a chance of taking off. It was one of those "holy crap, we're living in the future" moments for me.

I know what you're thinking. "Really? Your Sunday event was a video chat you didn't plan on having?!" Umm... yes? Sometimes I'm going to have moderately lazy days, and I'll take any sort of interesting event I can get. Don't worry, I've got good stuff on the horizon. :)

To the geeks out there - stay tuned for my next entry. I had my first "geek out" day of Lent tonight!

Philbo, over and out.

No comments:

Post a Comment