Sunday, March 13, 2011

Day 3: Art Museum? No... Corned beef? Hmm... Wait, I got it! Comida Mexicana!

Day three, Friday, was exhibit A in the case of how writing this blog will be difficult at times.

In planning for this blog, I created a spreadsheet of ideas of things to do along with a schedule. Friday's idea said, and still says, "Milwaukee Art Museum: After Dark." I was excited for this event. For one, I have never been to the Milwaukee Art Museum before, so I wanted to go for that reason alone. Plus, who doesn't want to party at the Art Museum? Well, when partying at the art museum costs $12 just to get in, not many people want to party at the art museum with you. So, that was out - strike one.

I then came up with the bulletproof plan of getting corned beef at Jake's - a legendary sandwich place in a not so nice part of Milwaukee. My friends Ryan, Jake, and I made the trek down North Avenue. We got there only to find that the open sign was not illuminated:

The lights were on, and the workers were there - but when we walked up to the door we were turned away. Why they were closed, I'll never know. Strike two.

At this point, I was getting desperate. I couldn't miss a day so soon in my blog! Ryan came up with an idea. He vaguely remembered a new place we hadn't tried on the south side of the city. He insisted it was called "Chicken Palace." I could swear it was "El Pollo Loco." Either way, we were going. When we got there, we discovered it was was called "El Rey de Pollo."

In looking at the menu, we could see that this place was legit Mexican food. None of this "Enchiladas Suizas" stuff. I'm talking home made tortillas, mouth burning salsa, chorizo filled goodness. My eyes were instantly drawn to the right side of the menu where I saw...

SOPES! Holy Pope John Paul the Second! Sopes were a staple of my adolescence at Taco Burrito King in Chicago. They are pretty much the best thing ever, and you can't find them anywhere in Wisconsin for some strange reason. So, I knew what I was getting - one sope con chorizo, and one sope con carnitas. It was awesome. I was satisfied with the journey of getting to El Rey de Pollo.
Sometimes life isn't about the destination - it's about the journey. On Friday, it was about both.

Singer/songwriter Warren Zevon once said, "Enjoy every sandwich." Well, I say: Enjoy every sope!

PS: I know I'm running behind here. Get ready for two more posts about my Saturday and Sunday, coming tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment